Thursday, August 25, 2011

Thanks, Steve Jobs

My relationship with Apple's products started way back to 30 years ago. I still remember the Apple II that I was using it during my school day. I also remembered the Commodore and Atari days. I was begging my father to buy one Apple computer for me but unfortunately we cannot afford it. Since then, I was keep on thinking one day, I am going to be a programmer for Apple but that did not happen.

I was divorced from the products for a while when IBM compatible rules the world. Since then, Apple has been trying to portray its image as rebel and as someone who is different. The following is the extract from one of its commercials.
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can’t do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.


This is another very provocative commercial on how the sledgehammer whack the boring and conformist crowd.


They also trying to portray Apple guys are good guys while the rest of PC users are bad guys in this Mission Impossible.


Well, I was crazy enough though I was a grown up man to believe those commercials. I spent my whole month bonus to get an iMac. I was also trying to convince my boss to allow me to use Macbook Pro in the company though there were many incompatibility issues. I still remembered that I paid for the software and the company paid for the hardware because I was stretching the allowable budget. Such an Apple fanatic I was.

Since then Apple rules the world, I kept a bit of distant because I felt it has became the mainstream. I was not sure whether Apple will be the same again after Steve Jobs steps down. Thanks Steve for making technology personal, intuitive, beautiful, fun, "hook" and fanatic..........

(WSJ) Steve Jobs, the ailing tech visionary who founded Apple Inc., said he was unable to continue as chief executive of the technology giant and handed the reins to Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook.

Steve Jobs has spent his career challenging conventions about personal computing. He's transformed an industry and changed the way we think about technology. A look back at the accomplishments of an American business icon.

Apple said Mr. Jobs submitted his resignation to the board of directors on Wednesday and "strongly recommended" that the board name Mr. Cook as his successor. Mr. Jobs, 56 years old, has been elected chairman of the board and Mr. Cook will join the board, effective immediately, the company said.

"I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple's CEO, I would be the first to let you know," Mr. Jobs said in his resignation letter. "Unfortunately, that day has come."


http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904875404576528981250892702.html?mod=WSJ_Home_largeHeadline

No comments: