Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Turtle Portfolio Update-2008 Closing


(click to enlarge image)
KLCI closed year 2008 down by 0.55%, 876.75. For the first year, Turtle is using KLCI opening based on the date of the portfolio started, 1417. Measurement of progress is kind of difficult as there is a constant $888 flow in monthly. I will take this a rough indication of Turtle net worth growth or Book Value in Buffett's universe. For 2008, Turtle portfolio has a 19% loss vs KLCI 38% loss. The blow is not that bad for a small guy that started investing this year as the base is relatively small and spread out the investment timing. For those has been investing and accumulating for years, if they did not manage to get out in time by around February 2008, the blow could be pretty severe - a potential loss of 40%. This bring home two points: a small guy has not much to loose but big guys who do not pay attention to market timing at top will suffer much greater damage to their net worth in 2008.

As private investor, I like the way Jim Rogers explained how he measured his performance when he appeared on the TV. I don't know, I have no investment committee to answer. All I know is I still have money to pay my bills and my holdings are fundamentally unimpaired. Cheers.

No comments: