- First impression counts. I repainted outside of my house six month before I moved out. That clean look would have probably created a very powerful halo effect. I also left a nice pot of palm tree at the entrance. That created a much more inviting welcome.
- Repaint the house interior with white color. It's not expensive, the material cost was less than RM 100 but the effect was good. The other price that I have to pay was myself. I just have to roll up my sleeve and do the job. Always go for neutral color. There is no need to show your personality. Let's the new owner to decide what color they want.
- Mop the whole house to keep it sparkle clean. I did it once a week and luckily I do not have to do it for too long.
- Remove most of the things out of the house. I am sure that you have tonnes of old things that you left in your old house when you moved out. Forget about the sentimental value, just ship it out. If you can't get somebody to do it.
- I removed the Cross from the old house. I know many Christians brothers and sisters may want to condemn me that I sometimes live like a pagan. Unless you want to narrow your potential buyers to your own religion, remember this is a commercial decision. Just pray in our heart that Our Lord will bless the new owner and hope some day the whole family will be converted.
- Bought a big bottle of ceramic cleaner. Get rid of the tiles stain in your bathroom. Just try to make it as "new" as possible.
- I left the house lighting on. A bright house will go no wrong. RM 20 electricity bill will not kill you. Also remember to fix all the faulty bulbs.
- The only accessory that I left was the curtain. This will create a homely feeling.
- Fix the leaking tap.........minor things like this can create a wrong impression. A tap costs RM 10 only.
- Do not do unto others what you do not want others do unto you. Try to put yourself into others' people shoes. People will feel better if you have tried your best to handover a good property to them.
Monday, September 19, 2011
Tips on selling your old house
I sold my house in a pretty short time. I've done a couple of things on my own based on my common sense like
I will share with you more later: whether you should sell the house yourself or go through a property agent.