Wednesday, June 10, 2009

7-S Framework adapting management model for investing, Part I

I read two books a long time ago called "The Art of Japanese Management by Richard Pascale and Anthony Pathos and "In search of excellence" by Tom Peters. They mentioned organization not just structure but consists of 7 interconnected elements.





I am sure many of you would have seen this in a typical strategic management textbook. What it means you need every element to harmonize with each other. If you have these elements clashing with each other, then the results will be disaster. If your strategy is to be a cost leader, then you have to make sure that your structure, system, staff, etc to align with each other. You got make sure you hire someone to be very detailed, very strong operationally, penny pinch culture, be ruthless to cut cost(no loyalty to suppliers for example), formal structure and strict reporting system, etc. They style will be very button down, forget about flexi-hour, working from home, big canteen serving free flow Coke and etc. If you hire Steve Job to execute this strategy, then I am pretty sure you know what will be that outcome.......fail! Bill Gate will probably do a better job.

I will be back to post on how to apply 7-S to investing. I got a feeling many of my smart readers already know what I am going to say but never mind I will go ahead to state the obvious. See you soon.

2 comments:

koko said...

I like this article.
May I use it to post my view on "The Formal Models of Educational Management"?
I am a graduate student taking Diploma in Teaching/ M.A. in Teaching.
I will post it with attribution.
Great blog!!!

koko said...

I like this article.
May I use it to post my view on "The Formal Models of Educational Management" in my online studies? Don't worry because I will post it with attribution.
Great Blog!!!