Wednesday, April 11, 2012

One of my all time favourite artists: Mark Rothko

Mark Rothko paintings are big. If you stand in front of his paintings, you will feel the connections right away, no need wordy descriptions or complex explanations/analysis.

In his words,

The fact that people break down and cry when confronted with my pictures shows that I can communicate those basic human emotions.. the people who weep before my pictures are having the same religious experience I had when painting them. And if you say you are moved only by their color relationships then you miss the point.

Mark Rothko






This piece was painted before he died. He was found dead lying on the floor with slitted writs.

Sadness, doom and tragedy are gripping me when I stared at it.





I just can feel the intensity of battles within.






I felt the calmness and a sense of infinite liberation from all sources of conflicts.




I just like to look at the center of the painting ....... the bright burning whitish yellow that give me a sense of hope and serenity in an eternal world.

The horizon seems to be very far away and unreachable but you know in your heart it is closer than you think............

1 comment:

Y said...

Those are very beautiful paintings. Reminds me of a local artist from Penang who had an exhibition in KL a few years ago. I ended up buying one of his paintings because I was drawn to it instantly and really liked it.