Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Turtle investing: By Amateur for Amateur


Can amateurs beat professionals? Honestly, I don’t know the answer. But, I want to take up the challenge. Let’s start this virtual journey of investing with $ 3,000 as the seed money with additional $888/month saving from my day job.

Studies after studies show that most professional money managers could not beat the market for a long time, so what is the definition of a long time? Bill Miller has outperformed the S & P Index 15 years in a row. Peter Lynch has beaten the market for 13 years. Do I need to mention about Warren Buffet and George Soros? With that, I think 15 years will be a fair number.

So, this portfolio will start from today, 12 February 2008 and will end by 12 February 2023. I should have at least $ 350,000 based on annual compounding return of 10%, a very rough benchmark of most indexes.

What are my strategies to achieve this? As a turtle investor, I will think and move very slowly because I am a kia-si and kia-su type of person. I will post,in real-time, my struggles on how I grow my money slowly as an amateur.

1 comment:

MaxTrend said...

Hi, there. Seriously, why called yourself a turtle trader since you are not implementing turtle method at all? (From what I read so far)

,"as a turtle trader, I will think and move very slowly" ,- This is not turtle style at all!!! With all the fundamental (funny matters) kind of stuff, I do not think you are implementing any idea of turtle trading. Turtle trading is about mechanical system to trade in the market. All we look into are price to buy and sell with the idea of buying high and selling low. No prediction involved and we only deal and response with price reaction!

No offence; but, I am feeling annoyed with the word 'turtle trading' being used here. Can you explain further perhaps in a new posting. This could turn out with a positive discussion. Cheers!