Friday, February 29, 2008

Why I bought MUI?



The answer is very simple, the reasons were published prior to my purchase. It happened that yesterday financial results were far better than I expected. Interest expense was down, operating units are making good profit, even the black sheep in the family (food division) was making money. In short, he did what he said he was going to do.

The key question still why today, not tomorrow, day after tomorrow? Why don't I wait for what Fed does next March 18? Why don't I figure out about interest rate conundrum (US and China)? The question of time in the market and timing the market has been a mystery to me since I started to have interest to make money from stock markets. I still have not found an answer until today.

The next question is will stock price go up? The answer is I don't know, we will have let the crowd to decide. Ben said, stock market, in short term is a voting machine but long-term is a weighing machine. I have determined the value of the company, putting down money; the rest is up to the company. I will sell it if my original objectives buying into this business are no longer valid.

I have my good reasons why I buy; other people don't have to agree with me, even though I look like an idiot if my portfolio goes down in value. This is what I call mental toughness.

I am setting up a real life example how people operate in the stock market and not preaching from textbook. Stock market is almost like war and street fight, it is very real - so we have to do what ever is appropriate in a given situation.

By documenting this journey publicly will keep me honest and hopefully, I am giving back a bit of what I have received from other great minds. Stock market game is great but focus too much on short term, picking a long-term business will make the player look like an idiot. So I am setting up a reality show now. Cheers!

P.S. Why you spend almost all the money you have? OK, Let's wait until weekend to write the details.

1 comment:

pureland said...

Dear Mr Turtle

Do you have the write up by Icapital on MUI Berhad ? I am quite interested after reading your blog on MUI.

Please do e-mail at pureland@live.com.my

Or you may post on the blog if more convenience to you.

Thank you very much.