Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Performance pressure

My andrelina rushed the moment I declare publicly to grow my money at 10% annual compounding rate. There are all sort of ideas come to my minds. I am tempted with all kind of fantasies. The most obvious one, I keep telling myself: I can, I will, I must get rich fast - more than 10% return every week and not 10% every year.

If I buy something for $ 0.30/ share, sell something for $ 0.40/share, pocket a tidy sum of 33.3% return a week, annualized return will be 1,731% per year. I will become a millionaire in two years time. God, I love capitalism.

I must not procrastinate, I must take action now, I opened my newspaper to look up at penny stocks, foreign and local warrants. Good Lord, there are so many of them, which one should I pick? My minds got so confused now, I have only $ 3,000, how should I go about picking one to two stocks that will make me a millionaire in two years?

My enthusiasm quickly turns into frustration. I suddenly realized that I am falling into the trap of performance rat race. I pressure myself to perform, I am falling exactly into money managers' trap - performance is determine by price. I am feeling pressured because I am still sitting on $3,000 cash. Time is money, the longer I am sitting on cash, the higher the return needs to be generated later on!

I am suddenly realized that I am not ready to buy any stock(s) but clock is ticking. Will I miss my 10% target? What should I do?

No comments: