Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Eat to live or live to eat?

This entry is dedicated to kampong boys and girls.

My blog don’t talk a lot about foods because I’m kind of a guy who eats to live and not lives to eat. Given a choice, between going to a hawker center or a fine dining restaurant, I’ll choose hawker center anytime. It’s not about money or class but it’s about personal preference and a place that I can feel at ease — to be myself. It’s a place that nobody will give you satu macam kind of stares when you're screaming while making a bullish or bearish arguments, jeers or cheers for friends.

At times, I’m required to be completely civilized, a complete gentleman. I can’t really remember when my first time of doing fine dining was. All I remembered was my b**** shrunk by half. It was much more complicated than solving this equation

If 1/2x +1/2(1/2x + 1/2(1/2x +1/2(1/2x + ... = y,
then x = ?

No, perhaps it’s more difficult to solve a problem like how to prevent an European debts contagion. Or do I bet whether ECB will print infinite amount of money to bailout all the guys? Just kidding. :)

Back to the topic, I kept staring at the silverware. SOB, a fork is a fork, a spoon is a spoon, a glass is a glass but why so many????

Boy, I tell yea --- that dinner made me felt like trapped in an eternal hell.

I hope some of my young “friends” who read this blog may find this survivor tips handy in the future.

The general sequence is starter, main course and end with dessert.

That makes perfect sense, you will have to use your tools from farthest first for starter, slowly coming to inside for main course and end with desert. Hope this picture helps you.



Red wine or white wine? A wine is a wine but why ask me red or white. Most Asians will only care or heard so much about drinking red wine will help you to cut down their heart attack risks. Damn it, if we sit on our fat asses, red wine or coffee will not be able to save us.

I later found out it’s rather intuitive actually. Red meats like steak or lamb are heavier should match better with red wine which tastes heavier. As an Asian, I find that the smell of beef or lamb is stronger and red wine helps me during the meal. If I pair red wine with “lighter” food like seafood, cheese, fruits and etc…..it will overpower the food and just kill the taste. That’s why white wine works better.

Read more here if you want to know more about “civilized dining”. Good luck.

http://www.etiquettescholar.com/index.html

No comments: